THE CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT
The Central Business District is the urban zone at the heart
of the city. It is dominated by three land uses, RETAIL, OFFICES
The CBD is located in the most accessible location of the
city where the main road routes converge. This accessiblity is the reason
that the CBD has the highest land value due to competition.
Retail and entertainment require a location in the CBD because
it requires access to the biggest customer base.
Offices requires a location in the CBD because it has access to the most
suitable and well qualified workers.
The competition for land and high land value result in tall
buildings which maximise floor space.
What are the problems of the CBD?
Click on the photograph of the CBD of Birmingham. This will
open a word document. Save the document to your hard drive and complete
the following exercise.
1) Draw a series of text boxes around the photograph and write annotations
in the boxes. The annotations should describe how the elements of the photograph
illustrate the features of the CBD.
2) When you use geographical terms highlight them in bold.
3) Use images from www.streetmap.co.uk
to integrate a small map and a small photo of the location.(Western end
of New Stree, Birmingham - looking east.)
4) Save the document complete with annotations and title complete.
5) Email the final document to your teacher.