EDWARD VI CAMP HILL SCHOOL FOR BOYS GEOGRAPHY DEPARTMENT SCHEME OF WORK YEAR 9
SIX - TOURISM - Assessment 9.6 SEE
SEPARATE SHEET (3 weeks) Pupils to develop brochure outlining holiday
planned for a family.
EXAMINATIONS (THREE WEEKS) 1. Examination
preparation and completion (2 weeks). 2. Follow-up to examination (collect papers
UNIT SIX - TOURISM - AN EXAMPLE OF ECONOMIC (TERTIARY)
ACTIVITY (5 WEEKS)
1. What is the tourist industry ? What problems does
tourism cause - Interactions pages 38-9. - Why is tourism an example of a tertiary
activity ? - Interpretation of Graph A with whole class. - Complete exercises
1 and 4 via group work. - Complete 6 in exercise books. - Interactions pages 40-1.
- Why do some environments need special attention ? - Complete exercises 1 and
2. Where are the popular tourist destinations in Europe
? - What affects the pattern of tourism in the E.U. ? Interpretation of
map/flow line diagram of European tourist patterns. - Complete exercise 1 in groups,
2, 3 and 4 in exercise books.
3. The Alps - a winter wonderland ? - Interactions
pages 52-3. - How can tourism change the landscape ? - Video 70 (E) Tourim in
the Alps (Nature) - impact of skiing and Winter Olympics in France.
4. Disneyland Paris - a holiday dream ? - Interactions
pages 50-1. - Complete exercises 1, 3 and 4 in exercise books (show promotional
video advert from TV/holiday programme ?).
5. Majorca - a holiday paradise ? - Interactions
pages 48-9. - Effects of mass international tourism in E.U. country. - Complete
exercises 1, 2, 3, and 4.
YEAR 9 SCHEME OF WORK 1. Aims to build upon and reinforce the content, skills
and variety of learning opportunities experienced in Years 7 and 8.
2. To prepare students for GCSE: (a) layout of exercise book, (b) development
of graphical skills, (c) develop notemaking techniques e.g. from videos, (d) differentiate
by variety of teaching, learning and assessment strategies.