LOWER SIXTH - KGP SCHEDULE, WEEKS 2-9 - ENERGY
MODULE 1 THE DYNAMICS OF CHANGE
10.2 PEOPLE AND THE ENVIRONMENT -POPULATION AND RESOURCES
RENEWABLE ENERGY - HEP
NON-RENEWABLE ENERGY -OIL
   
NATURAL GAS
History In August 1859 Col. Edwin Drake struck oil 69ft below the surface of the earth. It was this that prompted the construction of the first ever gas pipeline.
It was two inches in diameter, and ran 5.5 miles from the well to the village.
For a short time the main use of natural gas was to light streets. However with the take over of electricity other uses for natural gas were needed.
It was then that the thermal properties of natural gas were harnessed in the form of Robert Bunsen's 1885 invention, the Bunsen Burner.
Gas usage in industry takes off after the Second World War.
First legendary pipeline: 120 miles long, ran from Indiana to Chicago.
What is natural gas? Natural gas, also known as methane is a colourless odourless fuel that burns cleaner than many other fossil fuels.
It is a popular fuel because it relatively cheap and easily available. Also it because of its clean burn it is more popular with environmentalists.
Natural gas is produced, often with oil, under the earth's crust.
It is obtained by exploration and eventually drilling to release the trapped pockets of gas. Why is it a very popular fuel?
Natural gas is one of the most popular fuels on the market today.
Forecasts for the future also suggest that the demand for natural gas is set to increase (especially as more and more car manufacturers offer LPG conversions)
Because natural gas burns a lot cleanlier than other fossil fuels it is more popular with environmentalists as it is better for the environment.

Natural gas is also at a much more competitive price in this country, due to go government tax's and OPEC policies towards its main contender oil.
Ease of availability. Natural gas is piped. It does not require delivery and is easy to move around a factory by pipes. Coal fired power stations for example need to be near road and rail links, and also has to have a complex internal transport system. Gas does not create these sorts of problems.
CASE STUDY - CHINA
Background China is one of the world's most populous countries. Although it is often labelled as a developing country it's economy behaves uniquely. China has large reserves that have served as the primary fuel for much of Chinas recent developments. China has some oil production, but is actively pursuing the import of liquefied natural gas (LNG). 1.92% of fuel is LNG. This lags behind natural gas use in major industrial economies and even those of other developing nations. Air pollution in Shanghai and Beijing and the unprecedented floods of 1998 have forced the public and government to value environmental protection.
The Situation The Chinese government has recently announced it's first LNG project. The China National Offshore Oil Corporation is leading the project. It is expected that power-producing companies will take 70% of the imported gas from the first LNG venture. The remaining 30% will be used to supply town gas to Guangdong cities. Demand in China is expected to rise rapidly, especially in industry as the country develops further.
The Future The LNG comes ashore on the southeastern seaboard. There is no major pipeline running inland from the coast. This is a major problem as it limits the positive aspects of burning natural gas to one area creating uneven development. The country will need a much improved gas infrastructure for sustained gas sector development.
RENEWABLE ENERGY - HEP
NON-RENEWABLE ENERGY -OIL